Uninstall or disable your antivirus
As you may know, Windows does not require any third-party antivirus as it has in-built anti-malware software called Windows Defender. If you have installed any third-party application in your Windows computer, it may create such error. Here is how you can uninstall antivirus software.
- Search Add or Remove Programs in the search box at the taskbar and click on it.
- Now find the third party antivirus, anti-malware software and right-click.
- Select uninstall the application and keep following the instructions provided on the screen.
- After following these steps, check whether the error is fixed or not. If your error is not fixed, try using another solution for this error.
Restart BITS in your computer
BITS stand for Background Intelligent Transfer Service. BITS is a Windows process which is responsible for delivering updates on your computer. If this process gets corrupt, you will have a problem while receiving updates. In order to fix this corruption, your BITS should be restarted. Follow these steps in order to restart BITS.
- Open Run Box, type services.msc in the open box and hit enter.
- A new window will pop up. The services window will appear on your computer screen.
Find Background Intelligent Transfer Service from the list.
- After finding Background Intelligent Transfer Service, right-click on it and select properties.
- On the general tab, find the Startup type and select Automatic (Delayed Start).
- If the Background Intelligent Transfer Services is not running in your pc, right-click and choose Start.
- Finally, confirm the selection and close that particular window.
If BITS is not wrong, try the solutions listed below.
Run the SFC scan
You can use the SFC scan to check for the corrupt files. SFC scan helps you to navigate the corrupted files and remove those corrupted files. Follow these steps to run the SFC scan on your computer.
- Open Command Prompt and type SFC/scannow and hit enter.
- The scanning takes some time.
- When scanning is complete, restart your device.
Following these steps, you may be able to fix the error code: 0x80070020.
DISM scan your computer system
Follow these simple steps to run the DISM scan in your computer.
- Open Command Prompt and the following code.
DISM.EXE /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH
- After giving this command in the command prompt, close the command prompt.
- This will scan the available windows OS boot image and the upcoming updates boot image.
- After completing the process, restart your computer.
Check for error 0x80070020. If your error 0x80070020 is still there, try other solution listed below.
Use windows troubleshooter to fix the error code: 0x80070020
You can use windows Troubleshooter to solve this problem too. Follow these simple steps to use Windows update troubleshooter. Please note that you must have installed windows update troubleshooter to try this solution.
- First, search for Windows Update Troubleshooter is the search box of your PC.
- Open control panel and select the System and Security option of the control panel window.
- Now select the update troubleshooter.
- Then click on the option Fix problems with Windows update.
- Click on Advanced tab option in the window.
- Now left-click on the Run as administrator option.
(Note: Make sure that you have clicked on the Apply repairs automatically option)
After the completion of these steps, you can find that the troubleshooter automatically starts to scan for the acknowledge problems and errors with your system updates. Wait for some time patiently for its completion as it takes several minutes to complete.
Perform the Windows update
This error 0x80070020 will not allow you to install the new version of Window. You can use Windows 10 media creation tool in order to upgrade your Windows. Follow these steps in order to upgrade your windows using Windows 10 media creation tool.
- Download the Windows 10 media creation tool from the official website.
- Once the download is completed, run it and select Upgrade this pc now option.
- After that, select Download and install the updates and hit next. It may take some time so wait until the upgrade completes.
- Follow all the instructions given on your computer screen. Follow the instructions until it displays Ready to install on your screen. Click on Change what to keep.
- After that, select ‘keep personal files and apps‘ and click on next.
- After the installation starts, follow the instructions given on the screen.
Once the installation completes, you will get the latest version of Windows. This will also solve your error 0x80070020.
These are the basic solutions for the error 0x80070020. We hope you got your error fixed by following one of these solutions from this article.