Cox Communications, or simply Cox, is an internet service provider (ISP) which spreads over 25 U.S. states, including Arizona, California, and Virginia. With its massive internet coverage, Cox offers telecommunication and home automation services.
If you have bought a modem router from Cox or your ISP has given you one, it’s time to install it without any external help.
The installation process is simple. Also, you will learn how to set up Cox wireless network on your own by DIY.
So let’s get started with a brief overview of the Cox Panoramic WiFi gateway.
Cox Panoramic WiFi Gateway
It’s a two-in-one internet device that includes a modem with routing capability. So you don’t have to buy a modem separately.
Also, this network device offers multiple advanced features for Wi-Fi and wired network, including dual-band compatibility and guest Wi-Fi access.
Cox Dual-Band Router
The Cox router offers a smart wireless network having a dual-band feature. The router can transmit and receive data at 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz frequency ranges. Also, this feature automatically chooses the suitable frequency option for the particular device for a smooth performance.
Moreover, you can separately configure both frequency bands. Then, the devices will scan for the compatible WiFi network concerning their support frequency.
Guest Wi-Fi Access
You can also provide a Cox Hotspot network for the guest users. The guest wireless hotspot is already enabled when you first configure the router.
So set a password for the guest wireless network and control the users connected to your guest’s Wi-Fi.
Now, let’s see the setup process of the modem and router.
How Do I Setup My Cox Modem and Router?
First of all, start checking the package and the contents inside it. Whether you received your Cox internet device by shipment or bought it from a local Cox store doesn’t matter. Always check everything in the box before beginning the installation.
When you open the box, you will find the following:
- Cox Gateway
- Power Adapter
- Coaxial Cable
- Ethernet Cable
- Cable Filter
- User Manual
The Panoramic WiFi gateway is a cable modem with wireless routing functionality. On the other hand, the modem only works via cable for installation purposes. For example, you might need the coaxial cable to set up the Cox cable modem.
Place Your Cox Gateway
After unboxing the package, select a perfect spot for your Panoramic WiFi gateway. It’s better to pick a spot before installing the WiFi router.
Make sure you choose a spot where the router can transmit a strong WiFi signal to the devices.
After placing the router in the chosen spot, it’s time to assemble the equipment.
Connect Cables to Modem
- Take the coaxial cable and connect it to the wall coax outlet.
- Connect the other head of the coax cable to the cable modem.
- Now, plug in the adapter in the electrical outlet.
- Connect the power cord to the modem.
While establishing a wired connection, it’s better to turn off other devices like computers and smart TV to avoid current fluctuation. However, if you establish a wireless connection, you can connect to the Panoramic WiFi gateway without powering off any device.
We’ll discuss the installation process separately for the self-installation cable modem and gateway.
As you already know, you must establish a wired connection between a device with an ethernet port and the cable modem. So, let’s start with the modem setup, and then we’ll cover the Panoramic WiFi gateway setup process.
How to Configure Cable Modem Via Ethernet Cable?
First, connect the respective cables to the modem and wait until the online light turns and shows a solid color. You might have to wait for 10 minutes because it takes time for the modem to establish a secure connection from the coax cable internet signal.
In addition to that, the modem might restart a few times. That’s a normal process, and there’s no need to panic.
Once the internet light becomes a solid color, follow these steps:
- Connect an ethernet cable to the modem and your computer or laptop.
- Power on the device.
- See if the network status is showing a LAN connection.
You are ready to activate the Cox account and receive Cox high-speed internet.
How Do I Setup My Cox WiFi Router?
The Panoramic WiFi gateway provides a wireless and wired connection. But in both connection types, you must wait until the gateway starts showing a solid color light (typically green.)
Like the modem, the Panoramic WiFi gateway might also reboot several times. So you have to wait until it becomes stable.
Once the Cox gateway is ready, follow these steps:
- First, turn on Wi-Fi on your smartphone, tablet, or laptop. Then, of course, you can use your computer as well.
- Connect to the Cox WiFi. The network name and key are written on a Cox card.
- If you don’t have a Cox card, look for a label on the modem. That label includes the required information.
- Enter the WiFi credentials.
You have successfully connected to the Cox Panoramic gateway.
Now, let’s see how to activate your account and start using Cox high-speed internet.
If you are wondering why to activate an account, it’s a requirement of Cox internet service. Moreover, you can’t avail of the internet package by Cox if you don’t have an account.
Besides, all Cox services ask to create an account before subscribing to a plan.
Follow these steps to activate your account for Cox internet.
- Run an internet browser on your connected device.
- Enter “Activate Cox” in the browser’s address bar.
- Wait till the page loads completely.
- Click “Next.”
- Now, select your “State” from the dropdown list. If the website asks you to select your city, do that.
- Enter either your phone number or the work order number through which you have registered to the Cox services.
- Select “Next.”
- Read the information on the web page and then “Next.”
- The screen will display the contact information you just submitted. Verify it and make any changes if necessary.
- Check the box “All my equipment is installed at my activation address.”
- Check the box of Cox Communications Use Policy.
- Click on the “Activate” button.
Now, you will see a progress bar on the screen. This shows your account is going through the verification process by Cox Communications. Therefore, it will take time, approximately 25-30 mins.
The waiting time depends on how many applications are being verified when you submit your application.
Also, don’t open or close any tab. Don’t navigate unnecessarily. Doing so might interrupt the installation process, and you might have to start again from the activation process.
After the activation process ends, you will see a new screen. Click the “Register Now” button and submit other details if required.
Now, let’s update the network settings of your Cox Panoramic WiFi gateway.
Update Settings of Panoramic WiFi Gateway
If you have a Panoramic WiFi gateway by Cox Communications, you can update its settings anytime. So after finishing the Cox self-installation process,
There are two ways you can update the WiFi settings of your Cox gateway:
- Cox Website
- Cox Panoramic WiFi App (also known as Cox Connect)
Follow these steps to update the Cox WiFi settings:
- For the website method, enter the web address provided by Cox. You will land on the Cox web portal.
- Now, enter the admin portal password. The default username is “admin,” and the default password is “password.”
- Enter these credentials in the respective username field and the password field.
- After that, you will gain access to the Cox network admin portal.
Update Cox WiFi Settings (Via Web Portal)
- Go to My Internet > My Wi-Fi > Network Settings in the admin portal. Here, you will see the default WiFi information about the 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz WiFi networks.
- Now go to each network to update its settings.
- First, update the SSID (WiFi network name) and password. Then, enter the new network name in the SSID section and the network key in the password field. Besides, you might not know the default network name of your Cox gateway. So it’s mandatory to change it in the first place.
- “Save” settings after making the changes.
Once you update the settings and save them, all connected devices will automatically disconnect. Therefore, you have to connect again using the new SSID and password.
Update Cox High-Speed Internet WiFi (Via Cox Connect)
This method applies to your mobile devices, like a smartphone, a tablet, an iPad, or an iPod touch. Therefore, make sure your device is compatible with the app.
- Download and install the Cox app on your mobile phone.
- Enter the account details to get access to the admin portal.
- You might have to enter the admin credentials so make sure you have memorized or noted the information.
- After accessing the network settings page, follow the web portal method to update the Panoramic WiFi gateway settings.
Can You Set Up Cox Internet by Yourself?
Yes. You can install and configure all the settings regarding the Cox internet by yourself. However, you have to first install the Cox app on your phone.
How Do I Reset My Cox WiFi Router?
- On the Cox app, go to My Services.
- Find the gateway or other devices you want to act on.
- Now, tap Reset modem.
Can I Fix Hardware Issues on My Own?
If your Cox router is malfunctioning due to hardware issues, it’s recommended to seek Cox technical support. The tech support team will look into the hardware issue and suggest plausible solutions.
The Panoramic WiFi gateway by Cox Communications provides a high-speed internet connection to your house. Moreover, you can add Cox Pods that work as range extenders. You have to follow the same procedure while installing them.
After completing the setup, you can get the best WiFi experience on all your devices. Also, you can use the Cox Panoramic WiFi pods for uninterrupted online gaming and HD video streaming.